Monday, January 19, 2009

HAPPY BIRTHDAY NATHAN !

I wanted to wish my second oldest son, Nathan (a.k.a Nate) a Happy Birthday! He was born in Concord, MA on Monday, 1:03 p.m. (right after “All My Children” started) on January 20, 1975. He was 11 lbs. 2 ½ oz. and was 22 ½” long. He was one of the biggest babies born in a very long time at the Emerson Hospital. They were so impressed with the size of this perfect baby boy that the doctor who delivered him had to show his pre-natal class of soon-to-be new parents the night he was born. Nate had been taken back to the nursery and I had just been put in my room when I heard what seemed to be like a herd of elephants coming down the hall. The doctor told the class that he had to introduce them to the baby he delivered earlier that day, and what his name was along with birth weight and length. Within the first 24 hours of his birth he was famous! One of the soon to be daddies that was in the pre-natal class was a professor at one of the Boston colleges. He went to classes the next day and told all his students about Nathan. Unbeknownst to him,…the professor would find himself back at the hospital later Tuesday awaiting the birth of his premature baby boy. His mother who was from Hungary approached Dave and I in the hall (Dave had just come back to the hospital from picking Aunt Dianne up at the airport. Her and Christopher {14 mos. old at the time} was waiting out in the waiting room for him) asking if I was Nathan’s mommy and how in the world did I give birth to such a big baby (she had the neatest accent). Her little grandson was so small, but he was going to be ok. Dave had left the hospital and this new grandma walked down to the nursery with me so she could see Nathan herself. While standing there at the window, two young ladies came running down the hallway almost yelling, “oh mommah, mommah, you had a new baby grandson!” and within the same breath said, “we want to see the baby boy, Nathan Sprankle”! (They were students of the professor‘s). It was amazing! The nurses had nicknamed him “Moose” and “Busta for Buster, (they with their New England accent didn‘t pronounce the ‘r‘). The day we were leaving the hospital, and after I got him all dressed in this cute knitted outfit to leave, a couple of nurses took him around the maternity floor showing him off. I was proud to say, “that’s my boy”! Even at times in his young life when he was sick with allergies, had respiratory problems and was probably our most challenging child later on in his teen years, he always seem to put a smile on my face and make me laugh. He is multi-talented himself,....an exceptional A&P Mechanic. He also can write his own music for his guitar and can usually play a song after listening to it once or twice. I think he may have a little bit of his Great-Grandma Fry's musical ability in him. He does not sing however. At least I have never heard him sing. Happy Birthday N8! We love you!
Picture #1: Newborn Nathan on his way home from hospital;
Picture 2: One of my favorite pics of N8 at Kennasaw Battlefield in GA, 2 1/2 yrs. old;
Picture 3: Nathan and Pamela June of 07'
Picture 4: N8 and Pamela August of 08' - Estes Park, CO

4 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Nate! Hope you have a great day and a wonderful NEW year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Nathan! What a neat story to have about is birth....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sending my your update!!

    And I thought my babies were big! It was fun to read his birth story. I think that is a great idea to share that with us since most of us were not there!
    Happy Birthday Nate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Incredible!! Nettie, you make me feel like a slacker. Happy Birthday to your handsome Nathan.

    ReplyDelete