Wednesday, October 15, 2008

These Are The Boots That Our Dad Wore

The weekend before last I was sitting at the computer thinking a lot about my Dad, in fact I'm always thinking about him. It's hard not to,.....especially this time of year when the annual "Pumkin Pickin Party" is in the works and plans are being made for the event. Last October was the first one without Dad. Mom was a real trooper and was out in the pumpkin patch standing in for him. Pictures were taken of all the great-grandkids that live down here and Mom with their pumpkins. A group picture was taken of all of them sitting on the lawn with Mom behind them. What memories come to mind! I'm not sure, but I believe this will be the 6th party. It's scheduled this Saturday the 18th. The first party was Clydene's grandchildren I believe, and now it's every year with as many of the greats that can come. What fun it is too! Anyway while I was at the computer I started thinking of this poem that involves Dad's work boots. KC had taken a picture of both boots Clydene planted with geraniums in them in the Spring. Now that those flowers are gone, Clydene made arrangements in them,....one for her and one for Mom. So I started thinking that I'd like to get pictures of all three arrangements. Then Clydene said she would try and put an arrangement together that would represent Winter since we felt we had the Spring, Summer and Fall ones,... and that she did! (Or we thought the four pictures could represent us "4" girl's birthday months,...December {Cheryl}, August {Janette}, November (Denice & Clydene}. Anyway, KC was kind enough to put my poem with the pictures of Dad's boots. She did about 4 different styles. This one in my post is the picture Mom liked most. (Here's to you PaPa,...bet you never thought a picture of your boots would be on a Blog with flowers in them, eh? We love ya!) I hope you all can read it. I thought you could double-click on it to make it bigger, but I don't think it works. I may need some help in figuring it out. I inserted the poem below the picture if you do have a hard time reading it.
Here it goes,......
.....
These Are The Boots That Our Dad Wore
By: Janette
When he worked in the garden outdoors,
And When he went out to do all his chores.
In the yard when he planted the old tree stump,
And when he took the rubbish to the dump.
When the horses he would help feed,
And in the garden planting his seeds.
When he took the dog for her walk,
Or when he unloaded his boat from the dock.
When he was outside to those who passed by,
With those boots on he would wave and say “Hi”.
Now they are a beautiful planter,
With flowers planted inside of all colors.
Yes,…these are the Boots that our Dad wore,
BUT NOT in the house on the floor!

3 comments:

  1. the first time you read this to me I started to cry until the very last line then I had to giggle when I pictured mom's face getting mad at dad after he had wore his boots in on the floor and left a mud trail behind him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't is interesting the things to which we emotionally bond, things that we would never intentionally choose to represent someone we love, things that just speak for themselves and attach themselves to our hearts. Uncle Clyde's boots are such a perfect spokesman for his character and worthiness. Keep spotlighting them for they touch us all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the sweetest honor for your Dad and the things he held dear - that you all remember and hold close to your heart.

    ReplyDelete