Friday, November 20, 2009

November - A Thankful Kind of a Month

November means the close of another year coming soon upon us. Once November hits, we have already experienced the changing of the leaves on all the different trees around us, and the color of the moon when it changes to the harvest color. It's when the little squirrels and chipmunks start to collect and hide their food they will need for the winter and start disappearing to their winter homes. The beauty that all this entails is beyond description to me. Even though November means the beginning of colder weather, and the transition of going from nice and warm to nice and cold, and that it is the end of another college football season and the time we start getting ready for the busy holiday season, it is still a favorite time of year to me. November is also a month of thanksgiving. I am so humbled by some of the things I have read about the word "thanks", and the giving of it to those who deserve it and those who deserve to give it. I have read on Facebook what some of my FB Friends have posted on why they are thankful this month. I have been lax in doing so but am going to give it a try here. First I am thankful for my mother and all that she continues to teach me even when she doesn't know she is doing it. I am thankful that I still have her to talk to and confide in even if it's about things she doesn't really want to hear. Just being able to tell her certain things gives me relief because I don't feel comfortable telling other people about those things. When I tell her something that I don't want anybody else to know, she keeps it quiet until I tell her I have told somebody else. She has been such an example of strength to me in so many ways. There is so much about my Mom that I am thankful for. Second of all, I am thankful for my family. Everybody has trials and tribulations to deal with at some point in ones life. My children have had their's at one time or another along with my husband. Granted, ..... there are other's in this world whose problems are much greater than our's and sometimes we all have to remind each other of that. But that is what brings us closer together when we need it. My family, everyone of them have been such a blessing to me. My grand daughter brought a brighter light in to my life when she was born in to this world. I thank God everyday for the blessing she has been to me. To my children and in-law children, my husband, my sisters and my sister-in-laws, my mother, my mother-in-law, my aunts and uncles, my cousins, my niece's and nephews and ALL my friends,....Thank you for all you do to make every day of my life days that I would not trade for anything. I am thankful for still breathing and being able to wake up in the morning no matter how stressful of a day I know I am going to be enduring. At least I am here to endure it, and that is what matters most. I have found out that life is about risk and sticking your neck out to try and better your situation. And even though everybody doesn't agree with the risk one is taking, the important thing is the word 'try'. If you don't try, it will not happen. I am very thankful that as I have grown older, I have been witness to just that all around me. I am thankful for the "turtle" and all that I have learned from it's example. I know that when I was a younger person, I liked to listen to the story about the tortoise and the hare and how the turtle just kept plugging away, not looking like he was going to make it anywhere, much less get to the finish line. I still love the story. In fact, I pull different stories up about the "turtle" often because of one speech that was given at an oil and gas conference I had attended while working for BLM and going to Billings, MT to attend it in the late 90's. The speech on the first day of the conference was given by the Lt. Governor (Judy Martz) at that time. She had such a profound impact on me when she told us the story of why she had been wearing a turtle pin on her lapel everyday since a certain time in her life. She gave us an example of why she was telling this story which had everything to do with the fact that a turtle doesn't get anywhere without sticking it's neck out. I have collected some turtles over the years, including a zipper pull, knick-knacks, a necklace, a sterling silver turtle ring, etc., etc. And now, my latest turtle item is a huge ring with different colored stones in it. It is so big that it will be hard to wear,.....BUT, it represents so many things to me. So here is another of my "thankfuls",...to my hubby, Dave. Thank you for buying this gaudy looking ring, something that you do not like yourself, but at the same time you know what it means to me. And 'thankyou' Judy, for bringing the 'turtle' in to my life. I am thankful for having my job at the Department of Veterans Affairs. It is no secret how stressful the job is, but it is what gets me out of bed everyday, and a reason to appreciate what I do have. Another very important part of my job is our "Veterans" by helping them and showing them the appreciation that every single one of them deserves to get from me and everybody else that works at the VA. I am also very thankful for Dad and the example he was to so many, especially his children and grand-children and their families. Even tho' he has passed on, like my niece Kadie once said in her comment to one of my blog posts about him, "he lives on in each of us and that the beautiful thing is we will meet again!" This coming Thanksgiving will be the third one without him, but my Dad will forever be in my heart, and for that I am so very thankful. Happy Thanksgiving to you all!

1 comment:

  1. Turtles may be slow but they are tenacious and single minded. A lot can be accomplished with those traits. Happy Thanksgiving to you and to your family.

    ReplyDelete