Sunday, November 29, 2009

For Those Who Remember Grandma's Aprons

I received this in an email the other day, and I know I have seen it before. But this time there was a couple of sewing patterns with this "History of the Apron" story which took me back. There was also a picture of a woman wearing one of the aprons like my grandma Spencer use to wear over her calico house dress. She always wore dresses, even when she was canning and standing over the hot stove or oven, and I am pretty sure I never saw her wear pants of any kind. In my Thanksgiving poem I wrote last year which I posted then, I mentioned my grandma wearing her apron and this just seems like a fitting story to post especially this time of the year (during the holidays). There was alot of baking and candy making going on during this time all those years ago and it seemed like women were never without an apron. I remember my step-grandma, Mary and my great-grandmas also wearing their aprons. I usually don't wear an apron, but it sure would save on my clothes if I did, especially with the splashes from the stove while cooking, etc. I hope you enjoy this as much as I did. "The History of Apron: Chips and kindling wood were brought into the kitchen in that apron. From the garden, it carried all sorts of vegetables. After the peas had been shelled, it carried out the hulls. In the fall, the apron was used to bring in apples that had fallen from the trees. When unexpected company drove up the road, it was surprising how much furniture that old apron could dust in a matter of seconds. When dinner was ready, Grandma walked out onto the porch, waved her apron, and the men knew it was time to come in from the fields to dinner. It will be a long time before someone invents something that will replace that ' old-time apron' that served so many purposes. REMEMBER: Grandma used to set her hot baked apple pies on the window sill to cool. Her granddaughters set theirs on the window sill to thaw. They would go crazy now trying to figure out how many germs were on that apron. I don't think I ever caught anything from an apron".

No comments:

Post a Comment