Sunday, December 7, 2008

CHRISTMAS DOOR DECORATION CONTEST - 2005

I wanted to share this picture with you all. When HR was still in our older office building the Christmas before we moved, we had a door decorating contest. Because Sunnee's office and mine were one in the same at that time (separated only by filing cabinets and shelves) we shared our door for the contest. This is looking at the door from Sunnee's area, my desk is to the right of the door. I wanted to do something special so her and I talked about it and decided what we wanted to do. We decided we wanted to do something with a fireplace look to it. I was thinking of contact paper or one of those plastic hanging door decorations. I can't remember what Sunnee was doing the day I went shopping, but she was not available so Nathan (my 2nd son) and I went looking for 'something' we could use. We went to Home Depot and was starting to think I just wasn't going to find anything when I remembered there was a paneling out there that looked like bricks. So we went over to the panel department and there it was! I was so excited! I had already measured the door and before I bought anything, I called the HR Manager and asked her if it would be ok to use nails in the door since we were going to be moving 2 months after Christmas. She didn't have a problem with it so I hung the phone up and we had a worker there at the store cut me a piece of the paneling the size of the door. After Nathan and I got the paneling home, he built a mantel on it out of 2" by 4"'s and covered it with the paneling. The next day, Sunday, him and I went down to the office and he nailed it up on the door. He was working at the Veteran's Nusing Home at the time and had to go to work after he got it done. Then Sunnee and her son came down and we started decorating it. I told my sister Clydene what we were doing so she had some decorations that she let us use for the door, plus Sunnee and I had a few things also. It turned out absolutely wonderful! We were so excited to have it done and looking so good. On Monday Nathan came to my office before going to work and he couldn't believe it! He was amazed. Behind my fireplace screen Sunnee and I tacked a piece of black poster paper on the paneling to give it a fireplace effect. Then Derick, her son went out and found some twigs that was used for the wood in the fireplace. I had bought some red and gold tinsile that Derick helped us make it look like the fire. We really didn't spend very much on the panel and everything else was provided for us by Clydene or ourselves except the little stuff. Well,....needless to say, Sunnee and I won the contest. We had judges come from other offices on the facility to pick us as the grand champions. Anyway, this was the result of the door decorating contest. "Twas' the night before Christmas and all through the house, not a creature was stirring not even a mouse. The stockings were hung by the chimney with care, in hopes that St. Nicholas would soon be there" (Double click on the picture and it should make it bigger).

4 comments:

  1. Wow! This turned out amazing... So creative. I also like the poem. I hope your office gets a kick out if it as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, that certainly goes beyond hanging a wreath on the door. No wonder you won the Master Grand Champion Whizzo-Bango Award for door decoration. It lookis like you just walked into someone's livingroom. Come do my house now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lakeview Hospital used to do a door decoration contest and it was so much fun seeing how creative every dept. would get .....but I have never seen one like yours!! Great idea and well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this was a nice find for xmas ideas, even if it is summer right now. lol. cheers! =)

    ReplyDelete