Sunday, December 28, 2008

Christmas Without Our Dad - 2007

I wrote a couple of poems last year at Christmas time because it was the first without Dad and we were all feeling his absence. I had read a story about a child that had passed away and was spending the first Christmas in Heaven, so I wanted to write a poem for Dad. This one was written before Christmas, and the next one afterwards. Kacy put the poem on this background which I love!(You may need a magnifying glass because double-clicking does not seem to work. Hope you can read them).


Denice was here for the holidays last year and before coming we all were thinking what we could do on Christmas Day that would be special for our 'first' Christmas without Dad. I wanted to share this particular one because for our "something special" we went down to the Bountiful Cemetery and decorated his grave. I believe it was Denice's idea (correct me if I am wrong Whitey) to make snow angels for him. That is what we did. Because it was such a hectic day, it was hard trying to find a time Mom and the four of us could all go together. Unfortunately, Cheryl was unable to be there with us at the particular time the rest of us could go because of previous plans with one of George's daughter's and her family. She had gone down earlier to put her tree on. Clydene had kids to go visit at their homes so between visits she was able to go and I ducted out on my family and told them to finish getting dinner prepared, or as close to it as possible and I would be back soon. Mom and Denice were just waiting to see when the rest of us could go. Kacy also helped with this one and put the picture of the snow angel I made as the background for this poem.
After writing my poem this year, next post down, I felt it was a little easier to get through Christmas of 2008 than it was last year. Whitey made a comment "it was a little easier than last year without Dad, signs that we are healing". I think we are. I still think about Dad and the Christmases of our past,....I still cry,..... alot!, but I know he is where he is suppose to be. It does not mean we won't miss him anymore because we always will, but like on the ornament Cheryl gave to us all last Christmas, it says " Merry Christmas From Heaven - I love you all dearly, Now don't shed a tear, I'm spending my Christmas with Jesus this year". On the back it says, "Merry Christmas, Always With You, Love, Dad". So,....as hard as it is, I am for once listening to my Dad! Every year I'll try a little harder to at least not shed 'as many' tears knowing that he will always be close by. Besides, we still have our Momma and it is her we need to appreciate and enjoy! I hope you all had a very Merry Christmas and that your new year will be a happy one! Love to all those who read my posts and put up with me!

2 comments:

  1. Time will heal the edge of the pain but the loss will always be there. Uncle Clyde was the BEST dad and he deserves the tribute of your tears. Always trying to do something together in his memory is important and wise. So glad that Denice was with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your poems. It's such a good way to express yourself. I've tried and they just don't seem to sound right.

    ReplyDelete